Tuesday, March 9, 2010

We've made it to 32!!

I am so thankful we've been able to get our babies to this point (and counting!!). It is such a relief to know they would, if born now, likely live full lives with no long term health issues. Though they were hopeful, doctors never really thought I'd make it to this point. Every prayer that has gone up and every helping hand that has been extended has not gone unnoticed. We are so thankful for everything and I know we wouldn't be here without the wonderful support we've received and a loving God who still has big plans for these two lives.

What's new with mommy?
At 32 weeks it would seem my body is really starting to feel the effects of this pregnancy. For one, I now weigh... gulp... an embarrassing 158lbs. That's a 50 lb weight gain. I guess it's no wonder I am not feeling tip top. A few weeks ago my legs started turning bright red and itching like crazy when I stand up, a sure sign of poor circulation. Last week my wrist began hurting off and on, this week my knees feel like they can't stand to bare much weight, my heels ache when I walk and the joints in my fingers are filled with fluid and hurt when I bend them. I also cannot breathe very well sitting, or sometimes even reclining, upright. I attribute this one to both the third trimester and months of bedrest. Add to that, an increase in contractions in the past week and a half and that sums up where I'm at these days. Gone are the days of a "healthy pregnancy," but a fair and willing trade for two healthy babies.

Getting Ready...
At this stage of the game, I'm eagerly searching for a speed-bake button. Between my body, nearly three months of bedrest and the finishing touches being put on the nursery, I am finally feeling as ready as one can be to become a parent. I think Jay would agree, seeing as how he's been talking to the babies and telling them it's ok to come for weeks now. I have been scolding him, saying "not just yet!", but I'm now opening up to the idea more and more each day. My feeling is that each day I can keep them in is one day closer to them coming home!

Looking back at this pregnancy...
Well, it's not quite what I had imagined, though how could I have possibly anticipated so many extremes. Feeling Overcome with Joy. Elated. Surprised. Scared. Alone. Exhausted. But most of all: Honored unlike ever before. To have a little lives taking shape and forming inside you is nothing short of a miracle in the making. I already feel extremely honored and grateful to be their mommy and to be able to share this life long bond with them.

I have loved feeling them getting bigger and stronger with each passing week, seeing them grow through our many ultrasounds and learning little traits that each possesses, even at such a young age. Like baby girl who has forever been curious about any little object that touches her through my belly - from the doppler and now to daddy's hands that move from one spot to the next, with her moving right along with them, investigating the outside world. Or, baby boy who has, for most of the pregnancy, been in "hibernation" soaking up the calories and passing up his sister in weight, but who has now, within the past couple weeks, woken up from his slumber to cause "earthquakes" when he decides to stretch and test out his strength (he is resting "deeper" than his sister, so his movements generally feel quite a bit different than her pokes and prods). It's quite obvious these two are getting bigger, especially when they keep me up with their early morning play time sessions as recent as this week. Who knew their cute little movements would start to make mommy say ouch!

I wouldn't trade any of that for the world. Not infertility. Not the chubby cheeks. Not the complications. Nothing.

Doctor Updates
Last week I did my first NST monitoring. Babies were showing great activity and responding well. I also saw my OB. Blood pressure was 134/80, which is somewhat high, but not too high (140/90 is the threshold). Cervix is still closed and the cerclage is holding strong. Great to know all is well in that department, but ever since the cerclage was put in, OMG those digital checks are just about the top of my pain tolerance! When doing a quick scan we saw that baby girl had flipped AGAIN and is back in the breech position. Crazy girl! Overall, he was impressed that we've made it this far and we even went ahead and set a date for my 37 week c-section, should I actually make it that far. I'm doubtful and laugh at that thought, but who knows... I'm cautiously penciling in Friday, April 9 at 9:30 am as "the" big day.

We have another NST and growth ultrasound tomorrow. Hopeful and anxious to see if any of those eight mommy pounds gained in the past two weeks went to beefing up baby girl. Praying for a positive report!

Here are some favorite ultrasound pics from the last few months that I just got around to scanning. Again, (as noted on the photos), Baby A is our little boy and B is our girl.




24w6d (above)



25w6d
(above)



27w7d (above)



Related Posts by Categories

6 comments:

Marcia (123 blog) March 10, 2010 at 1:52 AM  

Cathy, I'm so excited for you!

You've now officially made it further than i have and my two are gorgeous and healthy :) so it's onward and upward for you!

Anonymous March 10, 2010 at 6:22 AM  

Congrats, my friend, on making it past 32 weeks! I really can't imagine a twin pregnancy as my first...it's soooooo much more intense. And you're hanging in there! Your weight gain is gooooood...sounds like you were teeny-tiny to begin with (not sure how you pulled that off with IVF...that put a good ten pounds on me!).

I go back for my next NST next Thurs...I think we're on diff schedules. It would be fun if we crossed paths, though, one day!

Eve

Maureen March 10, 2010 at 8:37 AM  

Congratulations Cathy!! It's amazing what God can do...and the fact that 32 weeks has come and gone is truly a miracle!! Those babies are so lucky to have such a special Mommy!! I can't wait to meet them :o)

Michele March 10, 2010 at 12:26 PM  

Awesome!!! You are almost there!!!

The Swann's March 10, 2010 at 6:05 PM  

YAY 32 weeks!!!!! They are both absolutely precious and I cannot wait to see them! How funny would it be for them to come on April Fool's day! :-)

Jen and Chris March 14, 2010 at 11:26 PM  

You don't know me but I found your blog when my husband and I started trying to conceive. It was the beginning of your pregnancy and I was captivated by your story and your two little miracles. I have been praying for you this whole time. Right now my husband is deployed and sadly we did not become pregnant before he had to leave. However, your story shows me that God will reward our desire for children someday. I will continue to keep you in my prayers and I cannot wait to see pictures of your tweedles and learn their names. God Bless -Jen