Possible Preeclampsia
Not super surprised by this, given how I've been feeling. Back in the hospital, this time for symptoms of preeclampsia.
I went to my weekly NST appointment and yesterday the nurse noticed my blood pressure was elevated - 162/101. We went to the hospital to get checked out and are now being kept for observation. Symptoms currently include edema which is swelling/fluid retention in my feet, ankles, eyelids and well... I basically feel like I'm retaining a little in most places including my legs and even my belly. When I was admitted yesterday they noted a level 3 pitting edema in my ankles (the number of seconds skin stays indented when they press on swollen areas). Apparently a 1 is mild and 4 is considered excessive. I've also gained another 10 lbs in 7 days.
The initial dipstick test for protein in my urine came out pretty elevated... creeping into the severe category. Since apparently this type of test isn't always super accurate, they ordered a 24-hr urine test. We should get the results of that back either late tonight or early tomorrow. If there is a high level from this one, they would likely deliver asap, as it would signal not only are vital organs like my kidneys not functioning properly, but it means the placentas aren't working efficiently and the babies likely aren't getting enough nutrients or oxygen any longer. If the results are "mild", and my other symptoms stay the same, they might instead just keep me here until delivery or when something changes that causes them to need to deliver. Also, my bloodwork came back slightly elevated, but nothing alarming, however one thing they look for in particular (forget the name) that is indicative of preeclampsia did come back above normal, just not severe.
I honestly thought that this second time around at the hospital would be easier. Because I feel like I just don't have much strength left in me it isn't, or at least yesterday, it wasn't. Lots of "what ifs" that made it seem a bit overwhelming at first and, like I said, I just felt like crap. In fact, not sure if this was just due to me not being able to eat anything since breakfast, in combination with wicked acid reflux, but I ended up throwing up later in the evening. What's my deal with throwing up in the hospital. Embarrassing and just not fun at all (not that it ever is). Today my energy is up a bit and I feel more at ease. It's nice to know we are almost there and that is what I'm trying to concentrate on now. Though it would be great to squeeze out another 1-2 weeks in an ideal world, if it's "time" we're ready, especially if it means keeping the babies any myself safe.
I did receive another round of steroids for the babies, so that's good. And so far their heart tracings on the monitor look good as well. I will be getting an NST done every day from now on while I'm here. I did find out my OB will be leaving town at the end of today and not returning until Monday, so that stinks if we have to deliver. And, my high risk doctor is also out until Monday. I have to laugh a little... these kiddos sure do know how to stir things up!
Anyway, now we wait and see what the results of the test, watch symptoms and go from there. Praying for a safe close to this pregnancy!



2 comments:
Praying for you all. Hang in there!
Prayers and fingers crossed!
Post a Comment