Big one, little one.
Our appointment on Wednesday went pretty well. Still no change in cervical length, so no complaints there. In fact, he said that at this point he sees no need to check it any further, which I'm totally not complaining about! Babies were moving around wonderfully, both head down (yes, she did flip after all) and turned inward, facing each other. Picturing this absolutely melts my heart! To think they might, from time to time, take turns looking at each other, touching faces and possibly even exchanging baby kisses :)
The only thing that leaves me wondering, and a bit concerned (even though the doctor isn't at this point), is their weights. Baby boy is HUGE. To set things up, the average singleton around 31 weeks is 3lbs 7oz and, with twins, they tend to favor being smaller, generally speaking, though I know this isn't always the case. Anyway, he is 4lbs 2oz!!!! That's about 2 weeks ahead of where he should be. Baby girl, however, is quite petite, weighing in at 2lbs 12oz. This just so happens to be 2 weeks behind schedule, the opposite of baby brother. How weird is that! Our high risk doc said that this does put her in the 21st percentile (20th is when they start looking into things and the 10th is when issues typically arise), but since they both have their own sacs and placentas and there is nothing alarming about actual measurements (like their belly measuring different than their femur, for instance), fluid levels look good and since we're not seeing this in the early 20s, week wise, he's not too concerned. He also added that ultrasounds are often off by 6oz or so either way, anyway.
Of course, I still worry to a degree. Like every parent, I suppose, I just want my babies to be healthy and I worry this could put her at a disadvantage if they were both born soon. Then again, I know weight isn't everything... and certainly God has taken care of us throughout this, so I have faith that he would protect her in this instance as well. In the meantime, I am adding back in Carnation drinks full of vitamins and extra calories to try and beef her up a little :)
On the way out that day, the woman at the desk setting our next appointments said, "Ok, we're going to do one for next week that will just be monitoring (looking for decelerations in the babies' heartbeats, which they do for most people around this time) and we're going to do an appointment the following week for another growth ultrasound and monitoring... sounds like he doesn't see any point in setting up anything further out...". We were like "Oh really, why's that?" To which she replied, "Oh, he didn't tell you? Well, you didn't hear it from me, but it sounds like he thinks you'll deliver around or before then."
At this point we burst into laughter. It's weird to hear someone put a date on it like that. She went on to comment that with the babies measuring different, and if baby girl is still behind, they may want to induce so that it gives her a better advantage at gaining weight outside of the womb. Then again, we may go in two weeks and things have caught back up and we continue on... as usual, there is no real way to know what lies ahead for us in these next several weeks, so we'll continue to go with the flow. On thing this does do is put a little extra motivation in our to-do list!
Here are a few belly pics from the past couple of months. It's so funny how much it's changed... right along with my now chubby face :) No matter. I love our babies!

this was during week 20, a few days before I went into the hospital.
I'd originally planned to send this to Jay who was out of town
at the time, but never got the chance.


This was after coming off magnesium sulfate for the third time. I realized I
hadn't had a belly pic taken since I was admitted at 21 weeks and,
with being sent back to L&D, I wasn't sure how much longer I had at the time.




7 comments:
You look beautiful, esp in that last pic!
Sounds like Connor and Kendra - although I don't know what the difference is in grams - ours were 260 g difference at birth and are now 2.6 kg different (that's over 5 lbs)
Take it easy and sleep as much as you want :)
You look gorgeous! So glad you are doing well and I really feel all will work out with the babies! Wishing you all the luck in the world!
I can understand worrying. We all do. But u/s's can be way off. For example, just before delivery, an u/s showed our little boy at being 2lb3oz and our little girl at 2lb4oz. She was actually 2lb5oz and he was 2lb13oz! (They were 27w5d). So, they can be off. Perhaps that are 8oz off in the positive for her and 8oz in the negative for him!
Yeah Cathy...I'm so glad to hear all is well...and you look great in those pictures!! 31 weeks is awesome!! Who knows...maybe you'll even go full term :o) How amazing would that be? As long as those babies are healthy that's all that matters!
Aw, you're so beautiful and glowing! :-) He's just getting ready to start protecting his little sis from the moment they enter the world. I can totally understand worrying...
Love the pictures!! SO much fun! They are growing well that is good hopefully you can get a few more weeks in so that you can take them both home with you!
Post a Comment