Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Just call me the energizer bunny :)

Yes, still at home and going strong - 31 weeks this Friday, which seems unreal! I lie here and think that even if I make it to a full 37 weeks (the longest my OB will let me go), that is just a little over a month away. And then our life will change forever. Quite surreal!

You might be wondering what I do at home all day... well, it's not very different from what I was doing in the hospital. I get up to shower, on average every other day, walk to the couch a few times a week for a change of scenery and other than that I lie in my bed, rolling from side to side and seeing just how messy I can be while eating lying down. It's real exciting, let me tell ya. Lots of TV, internet surfing, book reading... repeat.

Oh, and there are doctors appointments to attend, anywhere from once to twice a week. Nice to get out and about, but the extra activity makes me extra tired and also tends to stir up contractions. Since being released I've "passed" two cervical length checks (both around 2.2) with the high-risk doc, and seen my OB once. I now weigh a whopping 150 (that's a total of 43lbs gained so far) and during the quick scan he was pretty sure baby girl had flipped back into a head-down position, from her breech position just two days prior to that. We have another appointment at the perinatal center today and I'm curious to see how she's lying.

I'm also a bit anxious in general. These past two times I've gone, I run through a scenario in my head of watching the ultrasound screen and seeing a cervix that has been compromised. I would really prefer not to be readmitted but I know that if I did have to be, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Now that I'm home though, and feel like I have a tiny bit of my life back, the thought seems dreadful. But, I'm going to remain positive and repeat "my cervix is made of steal" for good measure. :)

What IS exciting about today's appointment is that we get to see more of the babies, find out how much they are weighing now and hopefully catch a glimpse of something extra cute, like toes! I had a dream last night I could see one of their little feet moving across my belly and this time I could make out teenie tiny toes - it was the best! Last scan (just shy of 30 weeks), the sonographer pointed out the fact that baby boy was practicing very good breathing movements, as well as baby girl. This doesn't mean 100% that their lungs are fully developed, but it is a very encouraging sign.

Aside from the day-t0-day, I've been trying to tie up the loose ends on the nursery. My mom and Jay worked on painting and putting up a border, as well as outfitting the cribs with skirts and a valance for the window that I ordered back in December. It is looking wonderful!! I also made and had printed custom name decor and a few other little personal touches that I can't wait to set out. The current task at hand is figuring out how to organize toys and books in a baby-friendly way and to make the changing table area more practical. Now that we're having our shower's after they arrive, I'm also putting together a list of things we'll need to have on hand when they come home. Seeing their room come together is one of the most refreshing things right now.

Among all the craziness, I had a birthday yesterday. 28. Wow, that seems very unnatural. In any case, considering my physical state, it was a very nice birthday. A weekend birthday dinner made by my mom (ssooo good!), couple calls with two very good friends (I sooo love good conversation and miss it like crazy), a surprise gift with a personal touch and a husband who spoiled me rotten. beautiful Flowers, warm cinnamon rolls, a tasty meal and tons of candy, including our favorites: sweet tart Easter jelly bean candy things and lots of delicious chocolate from the Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate Company. Yumm-E! All that, and by far my favorite surprise was what Jay got for the kids... two delicate stuffed animals that made my heart melt.

Will update soon with pics and baby weights!



Related Posts by Categories

1 comments:

Amber C February 24, 2010 at 1:40 PM  

Glad to hear things are going so well! Look at you! Happy Bday!