14 Weeks: A little scare, but everything is great!
Week 12 was uneventful. Week 13 was *almost*... but then Friday arrived.
Everything was fine until a little after 4pm. I was sitting at my desk, minding my own business, when I felt a gush. I ran to the bathroom to see what I thought was quite a bit of blood and completely flipped out. At that very moment all of these thoughts and feelings came rushing over me. I just kept saying over and over "God please don't take my babies. Please!!" By the time I made it to my car, I was sobbing hysterically. I flew home and Jay and I started towards the Urgent Care center nearby.
In the meantime, we were able to get a doctor from my OB's office on the phone and she instructed us not to bother with Urgent Care, as they wouldn't even have an ultrasound machine. We could go to the emergency room, but there would be little they could do for us other than give an ultrasound. She was then nice enough to offer to stay at St. Luke's until we arrived so that she could do a scan. What a relief! I have heard enough bad stories about emergency room ultrasounds that I didn't want to do that if at all possible.
I was still really shaken up when we arrived, but I quickly undressed and held my breath for a brief moment as she put the goop on my belly and began the scan. Immediately we saw two happy babies (below), moving around more than ever and two little hearts beating away. What a relief! For the first time we saw tiny fingers and toes. It was adorable!!

She went on to explain and show us that I had what was called a subchronic bleed at the edge of the lower placenta. In this case, the placenta at some point became irritated and a blood vessel burst, causing the initial "gush". She said that she, too, had this very thing happen before and her bleed was even larger. I was relieved to hear that this isn't uncommon and typically leads to healthy babies. The good part is that I only spotted Saturday through Tuesday and today it seems to be gone.
Another OB appt tomorrow! We did end up moving up our next OB appt at the recommendation of the OB who saw us that day. So, that means we'll be seeing our babies again tomorrow (10/5)! And, this time, we're going out to the location we went to on Friday... for one, we'll be heading to our multiples class nearby immediately following so it just makes logistical sense and, more importantly, because of their awesome ultrasound screen! Seriously, this thing is HUGE. A TV that is at least 42-46" is mounted on the wall, right in front of the table so that you can see everything! The other location is a bit more convenient for us at times, but I'm sure we'll be back to this office from time to time for this reason alone!
I am curious to see what my doc has to say about the incident... should we be on the look-out for anything else (ie. if it happens again, should we be concerned about this leading to preterm labor)... will I come in more frequently until the bleeding (internally) has resolved?
We have really been enjoying our Preparing for Life with Multiples class over these last couple of weeks. The first week we watched two videos which basically followed several families expecting multiples and revealed what their pregnancies, deliveries and raising twins during the first couple of years were like, which was interesting. We also found out that our class will have a "reunion" next year so that we can all get together and catch up and see each others' babies. I thought that was really a neat plus, but since we are the earliest couple along, it won't be until after we deliver, and then our babies will still only be about 2-3 months. Oh that should be fun. :P
Last week, we had a pediatrician come and speak to the group about everything from how twins are twins in the womb (whether they share a sac and/or placenta) to labor and delivery, especially concentrating on preterm labor. You should know that our twins are what they call Dichorionic and Diamniotic, which means they each have their own placenta and gestational/amniotic sac. This, as the OB we saw on Friday put it, are the "best" type of twins to have because the risks of complications are lower if they shared one or both of the above.
I think the biggest thing to swallow from his talk was the preterm labor, viability and what to expect with NICU care. Generally speaking, twins must make it to week 24 to have a chance at survival. Even then, they will likely have some type of long term health issue if they do survive. The next milestone is 28 weeks, then 32 and up. I am amazed at how precious each and every passing week is to the growth and development of a baby in utero and this just goes to further that point. The longer they can stay in mommy's belly, the better off they will be. Obviously, it's not to early to start praying.
This week is our last class for that series. Tomorrow, we get to take a tour of the NICU and speak with women who are currently living in the hospital under maternity convalescent care. I have a feeling that it will just make everything that much more real for us. These things are scary to think about, but we would rather know what the possibles are and what we could expect, if it is something we end up having to deal with. This class has definitely made us grateful we've started early with everything. In fact, we're thinking about moving up a few of the classes to before the holidays, just in case.
What's New with Mommy...
Sleep: I so do love my sleep (yes, twins will be an adjustment!). For the past several weeks I had designed this crazy system of first a teddy bear and then a throw pillow between my knees and then as of late, I was also stuffing a t-shirt under my small but growing tummy. However, my friend Donna recently let me borrow her Snoogle Total Body Pillow that she used when she was pregnant and I have been sleeping MUCH, much better! It's a little funky looking, but it's a life-safer! Thanks Donna!!
Clothing Update: Do I really have to wear pants? At least that's how I'm beginning to feel anyway! The Bella Band is still working out ok, but there are some days when I really would rather have nothing more than a baggy pair of stretch pants touching my stomach. It's amazing how tender my organs are sometimes! One night, in desperate need for my already comfy pants to be that much more comfy, I hopped out of bed and cut the elastic band in the waist - ahhh... now that was more like it! Hey, it still had a draw string. Who needs elastic anyway?! Needless to say, I need to scope out some true maternity pants just so I don't feel so ick all day at work.
Symptoms: Still tired (9pm bedtime), nauseous and snacking like a fool. Ugh. Lower back pains - check. Morning congestion too (weird huh), but it actually has a name: Pregnancy Rhinitis. Who knew! Also, I have again, over the weekend, started having a couple Braxton Hicks contractions. These are "practice" contractions and are more common in twin pregnancies, so I'm not hugely alarmed by these, unless of course they are more frequent (like 4-6 per hour), at which case indicates preterm labor.
Can you feel those babies yet? Nope, no baby kicks or movement to report just yet. I am constantly keeping my hands on my belly in the *hopes* that I'll feel them soon!
Random Thought: I absolutely hate sneezing while I'm pregnant out of fear that I'll pull something or wake the babies! How silly is that. I also hated to laugh following our IVF transfer while I was on bedrest for the same reason. Of course we all know how that turned out!



3 comments:
So glad that you are all OK! I worried for a minute! All the best for you!
Sabrina
Hi sweetie, finally I can post again for you, I couldn't the last time I tried. It must have been realy scary and I'm glad all is well. sending you much love, Fran
So glad the babes are doing okay! Take care of all 3 of you!!
Jenny
Post a Comment