Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Week 15! Date set for the gender scan!!

Our 14w6d appointment last Thursday was a good one. Nice and uneventful, just like we like.

First item of business was the weigh-in. The big question: Would 3 1/2 weeks be enough time to put on enough weight to "catch back up" to where I should be? Well, in my case, yes. It was plenty of time. Actually, I gained more than I needed to. {Whoops!} At my last appt I was at 115 1/2. This next appt, I was 122! 7 lbs in 3 1/2 weeks is 2 lbs a week. Holy cow! I was instructed to either keep it up (starting small never hurts to gain a bit more, at least I'm told) or take it down a notch to 1-1/2 lbs a week. I'm going to keep on eating just like I have been while I'm still nauseous and then I might rethink how this whole food thing will work. For now, it's a must eat situation and I know my babies are benefiting from it. They have plump little bellies now! (So cute!!)

Ok, enough about my weight... onto the babies! Any and every time we get to see them we are happy. Would I be a bad mom if I said this wasn't the "best" ultrasound ever? Nah, that's not their fault. I think it had to do with where the Dr was placing the scanning device and, consequently, it made it hard to get good identifiable shots at times. Just a few short days ago when the other doc did it, she focused in more on the top of my belly and got great shots. Not that I'm critiquing or anything ;-) Anyhow, what peek we did get of them was really neat. Their little skeletal system is quite evident at this point. Tiny spines and arm bones and even little skulls... you'll see what I mean a bit later. Let's just say cute and a bit creepy at the same time!

Also, lots of movement and we could see a glimpse of tiny heart valves. Tweedle/Baby A (the lower tweedle, which, by the way, they always refer to the bottom-most baby as "a" and the top-most as "b") *almost* gave the Dr a gender shot, but no such luck, which is ok. Our appt was running a bit behind, which meant we were running late for our last class that night, and I found it a bit hard to concentrate as a result. I even forgot to ask detailed questions about the bleeding incident. We did talk briefly about it and he said didn't seem all that concerned about it and he tried locating it again on the ultrasound, but had no luck, and said that was a good thing.



The big news from this appt is that we have a date for our Level II ultrasound, which is also the day we find out the genders of our babies!! We are pretty darn excited! The date is Thurs, December 3. We will definitely let everyone know what we find out, as I know lots of people are just as eager to hear the news. This is also the ultrasound where they will be measure to make sure their growth is still on target and take closer look at the heart, bladder, stomach, brain, spine, heart rate, placentas, amniotic fluid... and who knows what else. I'm hoping that the excitement of learning the genders will take the focus away from the slight nervousness of having our babies looked at in such detail for any possible issues. In all, the scan itself will take around 1hr and then we will have an appt immediately following with our OB. The nice thing is that after this ultrasound, we will begin seeing him every two weeks until week 30, instead of every 3-4 weeks. Bonus!




Above: If you look really close, and turn your head upside town :-), you may

notice a slight hint of a chin and nose on Tweedle A. We haven't had a profile shot
of him or her yet so I just love, love, loved this!



Tweedle B (top) was referred to as "skeletor" by our Dr. :|
Fitting in this case, yes, though I refuse to think of my babies as anything else
but cute
and adorable and skeletor is neither of these. I did study this
one for a bit and am pretty sure
that I can see its little tongue.
That is totally adorable, so I am satisfied! :P




Another skeletor-like shot, minus the tongue.



Related Posts by Categories

0 comments: