Two Tiny Heartbeats!
Today just couldn't get here soon enough - our second ultrasound and the day we were able to heartbeats for the very first time! I learned two amazing things today - the sound of two tiny heartbeats at just 6 weeks of age is a miracle in and of itself. To think our babies still have "tails", yet they are now helping to sustain their own very lives by this one little continuous beat puts me in complete awe. The other thing I learned is that while the road to our babies was difficult and full of uneasy moments, this pregnancy will be something that has an entirely new set of concerns.
Last night I woke to my uterus contracting and the site of a bit of blood. Talk about scary. This was the third time already during this pregnancy that has happened. Jay managed to calm me down and, since we already had an ultrasound scheduled for today, we just decided to wait it out and see our doctor had to say. Then, to my surprise, my Mom showed up at the appointment! I had e-mailed her that morning so that she could be praying because of what had transpired during the night, and she decided to just hop in her car and make the drive. She is awesome - it meant so much!
When I asked Dr. Ahlering about the sensation I felt, he said that, yes, they are actual contractions (crazy!) and are more common in multiple pregnancies and to not be surprised if they continue. He noted that the progesterone supplementation I am getting can also sometimes trigger these (which makes sense, since we did an injection last night). As he started the ultrasound, he noticed a bit of blood near one of the babies, inside my uterus and said that, most likely, was where the blood was coming from and to also not be surprised if I saw more over the next few weeks as that spot goes away. So, no cause for alarm, but I would MUCH prefer to not have this happen again.
On to the BEST part! Dr. Ahlering quickly located each of the babies, confirming all is well with size (8cm in fetal length, each baby measuring the same) of each baby. Then, he was able to call out each of the babies and their own little beat! Jay was amazed. He didn't think they would be able to do that at this point in time. And then we heard them. Each babies beat was anywhere from 125 bpm to 130 bpm - right on target for 6w6d of age. Praise God!
Here are the latest ultrasound pics of our little growing babies. Soon they will *look* like little people!
Here they both are!
Pose number two!
This is one of the babies.
And this is the other!









0 comments:
Post a Comment