Friday, April 16, 2010

They're Here!!

And already one month old as of this past Thursday! Sorry that it's taken me so long to update you all. Things have been... well, different, of course! An amazingly busy, wonderful, wouldn't-trade-it-for-the-world different! :)

After a highly eventful pregnancy of 33w and 5d, Logan Jacob and Emma Claire have made they're way into this world and into our hearts forever. Daddy is happy to call Logan "big brother" after being born at 7:35 am, weighing in at 4lb 15oz and measuring 18.25" in length. His "little" sister Emma was a tiny 3lbs 8oz, 16.75 in length, born at 7:36 am.


Pleased to introduce you to Logan Jacob!


And Miss Emma Claire, too!

The Delivery
The c-section itself went very well, though everything happened so incredibly fast it was surreal. They both came out crying loud as can be and the tears instantly started rolling - I was finally a Mommy! We were at last parents!!!! Thank you God!


Me, big as a house with severe preeclampsia,
on mag (what a lovely drug), waiting to deliver and meet our babies!

I am soooo happy to report that they were both born very healthy; they were on oxygen for less than two days (if I remember correctly) and were taking bottles shortly thereafter. They were in the NICU for a little less than two weeks after flying through all of the various milestones and have been home for going on two weeks now. Overall, the birth experience and NICU time was wonderful. It gave the kids the opportunity get up to speed and make sure they were good and ready to come home, gave Mommy plenty of time to recover from the c-section and months of bedrest and helped us immensely in transitioning to parenthood, especially with preemies.

So how are things going now?
Pretty well actually! The babies are growing like weeds and gaining an average of 2oz a day! At this point Logan is pretty close to the 7lb mark and Emma is about 5 1/2 lbs. We're sleeping in shifts so that we each get about 5-6 hours of solid sleep every night, which is working out great so far, especially since we're waking them around the clock to feed. I have the utmost privilege of being able to stay home with these two and care and raise them. I never want to take this for granted. It really is a gift. Each day brings something slightly new and going with the flow is very helpful ;-) You never know what's in store! It's both challenging and very rewarding, to say the least.

Things I love the most so far...
First and foremost - the snuggles :) I am a fool about cuddling and these two are the perfect companions! I will miss like crazy their tiny bodies on my chest at 3am, catnapping away. The smell of their hair. The curious little grunting noises they are making now. And, it's so awesome to see their little personalities begin to shine, even though they will change and develop a great deal. Logan, at times, is quite the drama king. It's hilarious actually. He is so expressive and isn't afraid to let you know when he's unhappy. He is such a character, we just love him like crazy! And Miss Emma. Well, she's our darling little angel. Easy to please and pretty content with a full belly and plenty of sleep. She will give you the biggest smiles ever and look at you with the most inquisitive eyes. I'm just certain she's taking it all in so that she is well beyond her age when she's the ripe age of 3. A true princess, I can see it now.

What I look forward to...
While the babies are wide-eyed and engaged every so often during each day now, I'm excited about the stage when they can interact more. Right now we are letting them eat/sleep as much as possible so that they reserve their calories and continue to gain weight, making them big and strong! For the next couple of months we'll be laying low, giving them time to strengthen their immune systems. After all they've been through they deserve to have us take it slow in introducing them to the world. I could go on and on about what I look forward to... not sure there's something that I am not excited about!

All in all, we're just trying to savor each and every little moment!! I am sure there will come a day in the not-so-distant future where I will already miss this newborn stage. Sigh. Don't grow up too fast, little ones! :)

This isn't goodbye!
But I will say I doubt I will post nearly as often as I did before. Maybe one day (in my "free time" - ha!) I will start a mommy-type blog, but for now my attention is being focused on them and jotting down stuff for their memory books. That ought to keep me plenty busy! I will, however, update from time to time to keep in touch.

Thank you!
You all have been so incredibly supportive, prayerful, loving and just down right wonderful and I thank you for that. We needed it so very much during the past couple of years. There were many times we weren't sure if these moments would ever be possible for us, but deep in my heart I knew God knew our desire. I wasn't sure in what way he would meet those needs, but... well you know our journey. I am so very glad our story has gone on to touch and help so many of you. Thank you for your comments and letting me know that. That part alone makes this all worth it; knowing we have been used to help others going through similar situations is just amazing! God works in wondrous ways!

And, please please please. If you are going through infertility still, please have faith and know that God loves you and has a plan for your life and your family too. I really and truly believe that. For us, our journey to baby wasn't at all how we expected it would be, but wow how we've grown stronger as a couple and family. As crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't change a thing.

Without further ado...
I'm so proud to be able to share these with you all. Below are several more candid pics as they've aged through the weeks now and here are some our friend Donna took of them at four days old in the NICU and these are their most recent three week pics done by her as well! Donna is so very talented and the pictures - oh how I treasure them already!








































We love you babies! So glad you are finally here with us!!




Related Posts by Categories

9 comments:

Kathy April 16, 2010 at 10:51 PM  

so cute!!! love the hats. they're so small and precious. mine are 4 months now and i miss those first weeks. you look too gorgeous for a woman who has just given birth!

yours remind me of mine - the boy a pound heavier on the girl. :)

Marcia (123 blog) April 17, 2010 at 2:57 AM  

Cathy, I'm so happy to see you've posted - just last night I wanted to send you a mail to see what's up - you must have got the vibe :)

They are beautiful - Logan looks like you and Emma looks like Daddy.

A blog friend, Mandibula, has twin girls whose names are Emma and Claire incidentally LOL

Yours are around the same size mine were :)

Glad to hear you're coping well - you are AMAZING! When you have 5 minutes to yourself, take the parenting quiz on my blog from yesterday and let me know what your style is :)

Holli April 17, 2010 at 7:00 AM  

Congratulations! They are so beautiful! I was so excited this morning to see your comment and your baby pictures. Your story gives us so much hope! Thank you! Now, go and enjoy those wonderful babies. :)

Holly & John Our family journey April 17, 2010 at 2:14 PM  

So awesome love all the pictures I am glad to hear you all are doing well and fitting in nicely to your new roles as parents! Best job in the world!

The Swann's April 19, 2010 at 6:45 AM  

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!!!!!

Unknown April 19, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

Oh, Cathy--soooo cute! I've been checking this site every day hoping to get an update and see some photos. Well worth the wait! So funny how Logan looks like you and Emma looks like Jay :) Congratulations and Best Wishes!

Sabrina's Creations April 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM  

Congratulations!!!! You have a beautiful family now!! So happy for you both. I wish you all the happiness in the world!
Sabrina

Eileen May 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

Thanks so much for posting all those gorgeous photos. Your babies are beautiful! It helps make my situation all the more real when I see another former iFer enjoying her gorgeous boy/girl twins. I am still having a hard time believing that mine will be here in 3 months!

Fran May 29, 2010 at 12:03 PM  

Oh Cathy they are so so so cute! And you look fab just a few days after birth!! I wish you a wonderful lif with your babies I'm sure you are an excellent mom! Love and I'll check in from time to time to see if you have updated the blog. Thanks for your suport on my journey, I wonder if this is finally it for us also. Love, Fran