Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Eeek! We're having a baby boy and girl!! :-D



Us being giddy about the news! Ok, in truth the dogs wouldn't leave us alone
and were making us laugh, but you'd never know the difference :)



Final pic. Yes, I am getting a bit of a double chin. :-)

Of course we would have been thrilled with any combination, but this certainly allows us to have fun watching our little boy do "boy" things and develop into a man and our sweet little girl with all of her girlie tendencies grow into a young woman. I have fallen in love with this idea more and more each day. To be truthfully honest, I was slightly worried about the idea that I might be a bit sad if I had to let go of either boy or girl clothes that we've accumulated. Each is so adorable for different reasons and was already laundered and folded all nice and neat in their drawers just waiting for them. And, now they are here to stay!!

To think of a "mini" Jay and "mini" me is so fascinating. We often talk about which traits they might inherit, in particular eye color. Will it be chocolate brown or blue? And who's nose will they get? So incredible and wonderful to begin to think about.

The BEST news of all is that each baby looks perfect according to growth and measurements for their gestational age. I am so very thankful of that and hope it continues through the rest of the pregnancy. My weight gain is up to 24 lbs total (yes, another 9 lbs added in just four weeks), but it's all worth it.

We weren't able to video this particular ultrasound, unfortunately. For insurance reasons, they don't generally allow you to do so at a time when they're measuring and such. I'd like to share a few things though that I love and remember most about the day. We were VERY anxious the entire day, for obvious reasons. We went into the room, scanned each baby's heartbeats and immediately she asked us if we were finding out genders. Yes - of course!!

So, without further ado, gender was the first thing she went looking for. It was one of those moments when time felt like it was standing still. The first baby to be scanned was Baby A, the one lower and closer to the cervix. And... VERY quickly she announced "BOY!" and there he (he and his "parts" that is) was displaying proudly on the ultrasound screen. Let's just say our little boy isn't the least bit shy. :) I turned my head to see Jay grinning from ear to ear!


Our precious little boy show off his parts (directly beneath the text).
Both of these gender photos were taken from a "seated" position,
looking directly up at their little behinds :-)


Then, she started scanning Baby B who is higher up. It took a few seconds, and as she was scanning we started to talk about how, in the car during the drive there, we were joking that the lower baby poked the baby on top and the voice Jay gave the top baby was a bit "girly". I laughed and said "I take it Baby B is a girl - that or we have a very effeminate boy on our hands". We had a good laugh about that. In the middle of us recalling our story, the ultrasound tech calls out, you're right "IT'S A GIRL!" This is the point when Jay said my look of slight concern turned into a complete smile. (yes, I was admittedly a bit worried about having two rambunctious boys!)


Our sweet little girl and the only time her parts will be public!
(again, beneath the text, but a bit harder to make out
than brother's, in my opinion)


Another neat thing to mention is that they are, in fact, lying top-bunk/bottom-bunk style in my uterus, meaning their sacs are stacked in that fashion just like our infertility specialist, Dr. Ahlering, said! I don't know how he could tell this so early on, but he was right. The ultrasound tech said that they will remain like this the rest of the pregnancy, meaning our boy will always be on the bottom and our girl always on the top. I love this because it makes carrying them even that much more neat. During the ultrasound we saw baby girl standing on her head, forming a T shape with her horizontal brother (at the time). Throughout the hour though, they both moved around all sorts of ways. She tended to favor being balled up on my left side, which is exactly how I tend to feel her. We also saw her sucking her thumb for just a brief second and as soon as the tech had it on a good position to watch her, she pulled it out of her mouth as if to say "I wasn't sucking my thumb!" It was darling.

Something else funny to mention... about two weeks ago I decided to shampoo the cushions for the new glider we bought for the nursery (a Dutailer we found on Craigslist for just $15!!). The baby books must be right when they say babies begin to hear around this time because not long after I turned on the machine, they both formed this big heavy ball in my belly. Guess I woke them up! I felt so bad!! Now I always make Jay do the shampooing when the dogs have carpet mishaps!

Our next appointment is set for December 31 at 3pm. I will be nearing the 23 week mark at that point. After that, our doc said that we would start coming in every 2 weeks or so, instead of the roughly every 4 weeks, which is what we have been doing. It will be so nice to see them more frequently! Please keep us in your prayers as we enter this second half of the pregnancy and that we don't go into pre-term labor and that I can carry these babies as long as possible.

Here are some more pics that came out of this ultrasound. They really didn't end up taking too many of our little girl, but I will hold them to it next time! Little man sure is cute though :)


















Related Posts by Categories

6 comments:

Marcia (123 blog) December 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM  

Congratulations! There is no better combo than a girl and boy - I have a post in my head.... but I do want to write about this. I was also worried about two boys for us simply because I'm old (35) and didn't know how I'd run around after two little boys :)

BTW, you are looking GORGEOUS - your skin is so clear :)

Maureen December 9, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

Congratulations Cathy!! That is fantastic news...we're so excited for you two...and so happy everything is going well!!

The Swann's December 9, 2009 at 8:57 PM  

YAY!!!!!!! :-) So very excited for you two!!! I love hearing all about your pregnancy and those little tweedles! So, names being narrowed yet?? :-)

Baby Bump Wanted December 10, 2009 at 8:22 PM  

Congrats Cathy
I found your blog as i have just had my left ovary and endo removed and was searching people that had successfully conceived with one ovary. Wow boy and girl twins thats what i wish for
All the best

Jen and Chris December 11, 2009 at 6:49 AM  

Hello Mommy, I just wanted to say hello and let you know that i have been following your blog and was anxiously waiting to see what sex the tweedles are. I think a boy and girl pairing is so wonderful!My husband and I are trying to conceive and it is not as easy as sex education classes always made you think it was back in the day, your story reminds me that there is hope. I pray the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly. -Jen

"The Mrs." December 16, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

Thanks for your comment and encouragement...boy and girl...so exciting!