Wednesday, December 16, 2009

20 Weeks: Contractions, and lots of them.

This past week has been a whirlwind. Holiday prepping, house projects and contractions. That's right. On Friday, one day shy of 20 weeks, I had my first set of real, preterm contractions. Before now, the most I had ever had were 3 in one night and they were nowhere within the time frame to even be concerned. As a side note, they generally tell you if you have 4-6 in 1 hour you should call your doctor and be prepared to go to the hospital.

I took the day off Friday and while I was around the house I noticed, off and on, a tightening sensation in my belly. It definitely seemed a bit different than normal, but I thought maybe I was imagining things or that the babies were just lying more forward that day (thus making my belly more tight, which does happen frequently). What was so different is that this day, the feeling kept coming and going fairly often and it didn't last long at all. Looking back, the main difference between this and when it's just the position of the babies is that it positioning lasts longer and my belly physically looks a bit lopsided and harder on the one side.

Around 3pm I decided I needed to follow what they tell you - lie down, drink tons of water, start feeling my stomach for tightness with my hands and count what I thought were contractions (though at the time I wasn't entirely sure still). I noticed only 2 the first 2 hours, but later that evening, when Jay got home from work, I had 6 within 40 minutes and another 2 in an hour for a total of 8. At this point we gathered all of our resources from the classes we've taken which talk about preterm labor and called the emergency number for my doctor's office.

Within 10 minutes I received a call from one of the doctor's on call (Dr. Pearce). He asked me to tell him what had been going on and when then repeated "you're 20 weeks?" Making it seem like this was bit odd, but not unheard of. He then asked me to describe them in more detail. I told him that they were no more than 15-20 seconds in length, but at one point 3 of them were 2-3 minutes apart. They didn't in any way hurt. I could feel them coming on though through a tightening sensation and both Jay and I could verify that by touching my belly. He said that based on the fact that they didn't hurt and their length (which I'm guessing means they also wouldn't likely cause significant cervical change), he didn't want me to go to the hospital, but instead I should keep drinking lots of water and take it easy. If over the next couple of days they continued or intensified, I should call the office again and come in to get checked.

The good news is that they didn't continue for long. For the next two hours I maybe had 2 more, but that was it. I attribute this to drinking tons and tons of water (they tell you 4-8 in 30 minutes... yes I was drinking and visiting the restroom non-stop) and the fact that I finally stopped crying.

Why was I crying? Well. I'm pregnant.

Need I say more? :)

Actually, Friday was a really great day for us. I should have been jumping off the walls. But, with the preterm labor contractions I was upset and new news that came my way scared me a lot at the time. You see, Jay got a new job. This is the really, really great part. It's something he's worked very hard for and will likely present him a very nice career path for his future. It will also give us a more stable income for our family once the kids arrive and will allow him to work from home full time, which means more security in case of an emergency while I'm at home with the babies full time. So, all great great news. The upsetting part was due to the fact that we learned he would have to go out of town for training longer than expected. We are now looking at 3-4 weeks minimum, maybe even up to two months, with the bulk of this time occurring in January. I will be in my mid-to-approaching late 20s (weeks wise) by then and preterm labor becomes more and more of a concern around this time.

The thought of being all alone during something like that happening and not having him really freaked me out, which explains the crying. During this time, I was having the most contractions I'd ever had too. You hear about stress contributing to all sorts of things and this would be one of them. So, lots of water and a stress-free lifestyle are what I what I need right now to help maintain a contraction-free lifestyle. Hmmm... maybe I should go to a tropical island until the babies come...



Related Posts by Categories

11 comments:

Marcia (123 blog) December 17, 2009 at 2:52 AM  

Cathy, take it easy. this is a twin pregnancy, you know.

Exact same words my doc said to me :)

And cry all you want - aren't hormones the greatest?!

Fran December 20, 2009 at 6:01 AM  

Hi my dear friend! so sorry for the early contractions, thankfully the doctor wasn't too concern. Belated congratulations on the news that you will have a boy and a girl and your belly looks fantastic! Jay being out of town will of course be unsettling, hopefully it won't be for that long in the end. I also stopped by to wish you a very happy Chrimas and an undoubtedly busy 2010! Much love, Fran

Maureen December 22, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

How scary Cathy...glad to hear everything is ok now!! Keep those little tweedles safe and sound! :O) And congrats to Jay on the new job!! Merry Christmas to you both! Enjoy the last one with just the two of you!! :o)

Michele December 30, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

I remember having contractions that were related to dehydration. I had to drink 5-6 32oz pitchers of water to keep the contractions at bay. It sucked but it kept the twins in until almost 28 weeks.

Drink, Drink, Drink!!!

Amber C January 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM  

Hi there,
My name is Amber, I posted on your old blog many months ago after googling Dr. Ahlering's name. I wanted to thank you for your former blog, all the information and all of the insight your blog has given me. I interviewed three different RE's and loved Dr. A and so we had our financial meeting last week and are going to sign up for the March IVF cycle. I am nervous but ready and hoping that number 1 does the trick for us as i am so ready to be a mommy. I refer to your old blog when ever I have a question and it really helps to answer my questions and ease my fears. I wish you the best of luck with your tweedles and am so happy for you.

Thanks so much again.

Holly & John January 11, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

I am so silly I don't even know you but I follow your blog all the time! You really touch me and your photos are so neat! BUT I am concerned about you! Hope your okay!!

Holly Denton

manymanymoons January 13, 2010 at 8:48 AM  

I wanted to leave a quick note to let you know how much I've enjoyed your blog. I check in ocassionally to see how you're doing and follow your journey. I noticed it's been awhile since your last post. I hope you're doing well and are just enjoying this time as an expectant mom.

~ Elizabeth

Marcia (123 blog) January 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

Cathy, I saw your post in my google reader but i think you've taken it down. Is all okay now?

Michele January 16, 2010 at 12:38 PM  

Oh how scary! As far as short contractions not hurting and being unimportant... Those describe the contractions I had at 2pm when I was 27w5d and my twins were delivered by emergency c-section at a little before 7:30. They were similar to my dehydration contractions (which were slowed down and stopped with intense hydration). I'm so glad yours stopped with water and rest.

Fran January 17, 2010 at 6:02 AM  

Sweetie, you haven't updated in so long, I'm thinking of you and checking your blog regularly. I hope verything is ok and perhaps you are just on bedrest. Love, Fran

Holly & John Our family journey January 17, 2010 at 9:19 AM  

I think everyone is worried I keep checking everyday as well!